MAN’S STATE IN
What is your life?
Did God endow you with an “eternal spark” of life
that cannot die? Only the Bible’s evidence can settle this question.
Mankind’s speculation about the alleged “immortal soul” is
baseless and worthless. It is merely ‘the wish, the father of the
What does the Bible say about your life?
- It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little
time, and then vanished away” (James
- “Man is like to vanity: his days are
like a shadow that passeth away” (Psalm
- “For he knoweth our frame; he
remembereth that we are dust. As for man, his days are as grass: as a flower
of the field, so he flourisheth. For the wind passeth over it, and it is gone;
and the place thereof shall know it no more (Psalm
- “Behold now, I have taken upon
me to speak unto the Lord, which am but dust and ashes” (Genesis.
What is Man?
- A living “soul” = a natural body
(Genesis 2:7 cp. 1 Corinthians 15:42-49) “soul” = any breathing
creation; Genesis 1:20,24; 2:19; 9:10; Numbers 31:28 in death as well as in life
(Numbers 6:6,11; Numbers 9:6,7,10,13;
- Death attacks and destroys the man.
(Ezekiel 18:4; Psalm 78:50; Psalm 89:48; 22:29; Ecclesiastes
- In death man is unconscious. (Psalm
146:2-4; 6:4-5; Isaiah 38:17-18; Ecclesiastes
- Without Christ the dead perish. (John
3:14-17; 1 Corinthians
The Reality of Death
- “As a hidden untimely birth I had not
been; as infants which never saw light” (Job
- “Oh that I had given up the spirit
and no eye had seen me! I should have been as though I had not been; I should
have been carried from the womb to the grave’ (Job
- “O spare me, that I may recover
strength, before I go hence, and be no more” (Psalm
- “While I live will I praise the
LORD: I will sing praises unto my God while I have any being” (Psalm
- “They are dead, they shall not live;
they are deceased, they shall not rise: therefore hast thou visited and
destroyed them, and made all their memory to perish” (Isaiah
Immortality a Hope and a Promise
- Immortality brought to light by Christ through the gospel (2 Timothy
- Immortality obtained through obedience (Romans 2:6-10)
promised by God, but not yet possessed (1 John 2:25; Titus 1:2; James 1:12; 2
- Immortality our hope (Titus 1:2; 3:7)